tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Carl" <c...@etrak-plus.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat dies suddenly
Date Sat, 13 Feb 2010 20:47:04 GMT
Donn,

It looks like the total files opened are less than 1,000 and the ulimit is
set to 4,096 (this was increased as a way to check if ulimit was a
problem... did not change the behavior of the system.)

We use jdbc with the commons pooling process.  We follow the number of open
connections very closely (logging to catalina.out) because we have had
connection leaks (still have a small one) in the past.

We do not use LDAP.

Thanks,

Carl
----- Original Message -----
From: "Donn Aiken" <donn.aiken@gmail.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2010 4:00 PM
Subject: Re: Tomcat dies suddenly

Carl -

I did have something like this happen to me - not with Tomcat but with
another JEE container.  The container would run for a while, without
incident, then suddenly simply die, with nothing in any log, and not on any
apparent time schedule.

We had some code that was manipulating LDAP that had a leak in it.  For each
leaked connection, we had an open file descriptor that never went away,
until the process went away.  If memory serves, we finally found it by
looking at entries in /proc/{pid of jvm}/fd, doing a bunch of find . | wc
and watching that over time.

I hope this is of some help.  Good luck.

Donn