tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Carl" <c...@etrak-plus.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat dies suddenly
Date Sat, 13 Feb 2010 15:27:36 GMT
Chris and Andre,

Andre's note that it was always code that was not meant for the platform
triggered a thought that it might be remnants of the jre Slackware includes
in their distribution.  Let me explain.  I have been installing  Slackware
by just saying 'load everything'.  Then, I would remove the jre 'package'
using the package manager.  My thought was what if the package manager is
not removing everything?  So, I am rebuilding one of the servers eliminating
unwanted packages before they are installed (take less than 30 minutes...
not certain how I can get a 10 minute test to see if I accomplished
anything.)

I agree with Chris that the only definitive way of finding the problem is to
get a stack trace.  It seems to me we have two stack traces that we need to
know about: 1) the jvm stack trace and 2) the java stack trace.  Running gdb
against the core dump only tells me the problem was in the jvm because there
is no debugging info in the jvm.  So, the only way to get the details would
seem to be to build the jvm from source (I have downloaded the source but
haven't built the jvm yet.)  I don't know how to force a java stack dump at
point of failure, not even certain it is possible because it would seem the
the failure in the C code in the jvm would mean the jvm would stop before it
could give a stack trace.

Understand that this is my best guess and that this area is removed from my
usual mundane Java application development.  If anyone has suggestions, I am
open to them because I know I know very little.

Thanks,

Carl