tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Carl" <c...@etrak-plus.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat dies suddenly
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2010 13:53:17 GMT
Chris,

There appears to be some bling that openSuse has that Slackware doesn't but
otherwise they seem to be the same.  I tried openSuse because 1) Dell stated
they had tested their servers with that distribution and 2) Sun stated that
the Java distribution had been tested using openSuse.  My thought was there
might be a subtle difference that could either explain what I was seeing or
give me a clue to what was happening.  No luck with either.

However, I have found a couple of things that might account for the
failures:

1.  Slackware, by default, installs a version of Java (1.6.0_16.)  I knew
this but apparently neglected to remove it using the package manager (I
noticed it was still installed because nepomuk was starting a java process
which was showing up in VisualJVM.)  So, there were two versions of Java
running, one from /usr/bin/java and one from /usr/local/java.  Don't
remember what JAVA_HOME was set to and not certain how Tomcat actually
started but both JAVA_HOME and PATH are correct now.

2.  One of the servers had no swap.  Should not have been a problem since I
don't recall ever getting to the maximum physical memory (4GB) on that
machine.  However, I suspect if the system ever hit the physical memory
limit, we could well see the OOM killer.

I did restrict the heap (yesterday) to 500MB and the garbage collection was
hit frequently and performed properly so it seems my hypothesis that it
might be the GC process is false.

So, the monitoring continues.

Thanks,

Carl