tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Carl" <c...@etrak-plus.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat dies suddenly
Date Fri, 12 Feb 2010 21:44:37 GMT
Chris,

I was preparing to try out your checking the jvm exit code and noticed (drum
roll) that this morning's failure left a core dump in the tomcat/bin
directory.

Opening it with gdb -c yielded:

This GDB was configured as "x86_64-slackware-linux".
(no debugging symbols found)
Core was generated by
`/usr/local/java/bin/java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/usr/local/tomcat/conf'.

This Tomcat is straight out of the box except for some modifications to
JAVA_OPTS in tomcat/bin/catalina.sh and opening up ports and turning on SSL
in tomcat/conf/server.xml.  There is a logging.properties file in
tomcat/conf.  How does this line:

`/usr/local/java/bin/java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/usr/local/tomcat/conf'

know that it is supposed to use the logging.properties file if that is the
problem?  Or, is there some other problem?

Now, this is embarrassing: I just checked the other server and it also has a
core file with the date and time of the last failure in the tomcat/bin
directory.  And, it shows a seg fault at exactly the same code.

This might be a winner... we certainly know it killed the java process.

Thanks,

Carl