tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "George Sexton" <geor...@mhsoftware.com>
Subject RE: [OT] Tomcat dies suddenly
Date Sun, 14 Feb 2010 16:58:05 GMT

There's a story in a book I once read where a computer system crashed every morning around
the same time. No one could figure it out. Finally, the head of IS goes down to the computer
room at the expected time. In walks a maintenance man who comes in, opens the cabinet for
the computer, and plugs a floor polisher into a spare outlet in the cabinet. When the maintenance
man activates the polisher, boom, the system crashed.

When asked by his boss what the problem was, he told him it was a buffer problem.

http://www.amazon.com/Devouring-Fungus-Jennings-Karla/dp/0393307328

I used to have a Novell server that would mysteriously reboot every few days. In my case,
the server was on the same circuit as a laser printer, and both were plugged into a Haworth
cubicle outlet. Periodically, load was too much and it would causes a server reboot. We brought
in another circuit NOT on the inadequate cubicle wiring system, and the problem went away.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/
Voice: 303 438 9585