tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Carl" <c...@etrak-plus.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat dies suddenly
Date Thu, 04 Feb 2010 00:56:05 GMT
Chuck,

Yes, I run the system monitor included with Slackweare.  Currently showing
1.9GB used out of 3.8GB available and no swap being used... that's about
where it has been tracking.  The machine has nothing but Tomcat and a small
server (for reports and applet data... could/should have been a servlet but
was originally developed this way) running on it.

The VisualJVM display shows heap usage in the 400-500MB range... that's a
little higher than it usually runs but no where near the maximum of 1GB.
PermGen is running around 100-120MB.  The other parts of the heap are
printed periodically in catalina.out and look OK as far as I can tell, i.e.,
nothing seems to be pushing a limit.

Still puzzled but I know there is a reason sitting out there somewhere.

Thanks for your suggestions and comments.

Carl

----- Original Message -----
From: "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 5:00 PM
Subject: RE: Tomcat dies suddenly

> From: Carl [mailto:carl@etrak-plus.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat dies suddenly

> I am hoping I can see failure at the point of failure
> with the heap dump options

That won't have any effect on the Linux OOM killer.  If it is the OOM killer
taking out Tomcat, the JVM will not receive any notification - all threads
will just be terminated with extreme prejudice.  There won't be a chance for
the heap dump to happen.

>From what you've observed, it sounds like something other than the heap may
be eating up process (and real) memory space.  Have you monitored actual
real memory usage of the process as it's running?  (Can't be done from
inside the JVM; you'll need Linux-specific tools for this.)

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.