tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Carl" <c...@etrak-plus.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat dies suddenly
Date Thu, 04 Feb 2010 00:47:29 GMT
Dan,

I looked at the messages log but there was never anything of interest in it,
just the normal stuff.

Haven't tried disabling the oom-killer... might give that a go.

I thought it was a failure in the JVM but have never found any indications
of anything... I will keep looking.

Back in the old days, C language buffer overruns were hard to find but this
is worse because I don't seem to be able to find a test case to force the
failure... I will keep looking.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Carl

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Armbrust" <daniel.armbrust.list@gmail.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 4:58 PM
Subject: Re: Tomcat dies suddenly

> Since the failures occurred before the print options were used, I guess
> that rules out any possibility of the OS getting upset at the JVM calling
> for timing information. Back to square one, where the most likely culprit
> is still the Linux OOM killer.
>
> - Chuck

Have you checked:

/var/log/messages for this:
Out of Memory: Killed process [PID] [process name]

Or tried disabling oom-killer?
# echo "0" > /proc/sys/vm/oom-kill
# echo "1" > /proc/sys/vm/oom-kill

>From my own experiences with JVMs, it seems more likely that you have
a JVM segfault occurring - which is supposed to be giving you a log.
Not that the log is always that helpful.  But it might be :)

I've had a heck of a time finding stable JVMs on Linux running my
workload - especially a 1.6 JVM.  I was stuck on 1.5 for ages because
none of the 1.6's would run without randomly segfaulting.