tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Carl" <c...@etrak-plus.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat dies suddenly
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2010 19:32:15 GMT
Dan,

Does Tomcat do an orderly shutdown?

Normally, when Tomcat shuts down, it shows the process in catalina.out.
When this issue happens, there are no entries in catalina.out (or any other
log that I could locate.)  On the other hand, it seems to clean up the ports
because I can just start Tomcat (with startup.sh).  So, I am not certain
whether or not it is an 'orderly' shutdown.

Does Tomcat appear to freeze (stop answering new requests)

Using ps aux | grep Tomcat shows no process.  Also, I can just restart
Tomcat with startup.sh which implies the ports are cleared which seems to
mean it is not 'frozen'.

Does the JVM hosting Tomcat crash?

I do not think so because that should produce an entry in a file or a file
that shows the cause (somewhat) at the time the JVM crashed.  I have not
been able to find any such entry or file.

You can use these options on your JVM in your tomcat start sequence to
 control where the JVM crash log will be written (And to force one for an
out of memory error)

I have added these switches to the startup (catalina.sh.)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Carl