tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Carl" <c...@etrak-plus.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat dies suddenly
Date Tue, 23 Feb 2010 12:08:42 GMT
Just an update.

After 8 1/2 days, on the newly built Slackware machine with the JRE in the
Slackware distribution removed bebore installing the operating system and
using the newest version of the mysql-connector, the system failed in
exactly the same fashion as the previous attempts: ran beautifully right up
to the point of failure and the failure was the JVM being stopped with a
reported seg fault.

Changed this server to the IBM JVM.  Tested it locally (directly accessed
the IP within the DMZ) and it worked great.  Switched it to production early
this morning (4:30AM before people start coming onto the system) and
everything seemed good.  Then, specific customers (the rest were able to
come in just fine) starting getting 404's (we use only https, didn't have a
chance to see if they could come in as http) on their first access.  I
switched to a backup server with the old configuration and everyone seems OK
for now.

Remember, three servers:

A - Slackware 13 - 64 bit.  Latest IBM JVM.  Tomcat 6.0.24.

B - Slackware 13 - 64 bit.  Sun JVM 1.6.0_18.  Tomcat 6.0.24.

C - Slackware 12 - 32 bit.  Sun JVM 1.5.0_01.  Tomcat 5.5.23

A is the server I have been experimenting with.  B is the server I am
currently running on and expect it to fail (because it always has.)  C is
the original server that has run successfully for several years.

One more event that may or may not be related.  I have not touched the
original server (C) except to roll new war's out (almost nightly... minor
bug fixes.)  This morning, it started producing these messages every 10
seconds:

Feb 23, 2010 5:50:01 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
modified
INFO:     Additional JARs have been added
Feb 23, 2010 5:50:01 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext reload
INFO: Reloading this Context has started

Chuck, seems like it is time to break out the exorcism tools.

Thanks,

Carl