tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Carl" <c...@etrak-plus.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat dies suddenly
Date Thu, 04 Feb 2010 14:58:18 GMT
Chuck,

An interesting situation.  Of the 4028MB of physical memory, top was showing
usage 4001MB used... now, that would be really inviting.  (Note that none of
the 19GB swap was being used.)

I had X windows, the system monitor, VisualJVM and a browser running.
Further, the memory used by the system was constantly increasing (according
to top) even though Tomcat is essentially the only application (other than
those I mentioned above) running and, if I understand it correctly, Tomcat
is (mostly) running in the heap and should, therefore, not be requiring more
memory (of any consequence.)  I stopped X windows and the applications it
was running... that recovered about 400MB (according to top.)  However, that
is slowly being eaten away by something (the pattern is that the used memory
goes up a bit, flattens and then goes up a bit more... it never goes down
except for a mment here and there.)  I would have expected the usage to
flatten out and then fluctuate about that number.  This implies a memory
leak someplace in the system.

I did the search for 'runtime' as case-insensitive.

If I have a memory leak, cutting the heap in half will just put off the
problem, won't it?  Also, it would seem the leak has to be outside my
application as leaks from the application should show up by blowing the
heap... is this correct?  (permGen is set as 384m, both max and min and is
currently using around 100m according to VisualJVM.)

Thanks for your insights.

Carl