tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wesley Schwengle <wesley.schwen...@is.online.nl>
Subject RE: Ask about an architecture of High Availability with Tomcat and Apache
Date Mon, 04 Jan 2010 11:12:42 GMT
On 04.01.10 11:31 Peter Chen wrote:

> Here I use the Apache HTTP Server just to work as a reverse proxy server. And I use this
Apache HTTP Server to separate the external network and the internal network. So it can make
sure the security of the internal devices.

> And I use the Cisco CSS to work as a load balancer.
>
> I am not sure whether this architecture is reasonable. Could you give me some advice,
thanks.

We work with Alteon loadbalancers with an Apache/Tomcat backend. Apache serves
tomcat's content via mod_jk. When a machine goes down (apache/tomcat stops
serving content, etc) the loadbalancer will "disable" the machine which is down and
serve content from one of the defined backups.

      Internet                  Internet
         |                         |
         |                         |
      Alteon                    Alteon
       /  \________               /\
      /    \_____  \             /  \
Apache/Tomcat   \  \____       /  Apache/Tomcat
           Apache/tomcat \     /
                   Apache/tomcat (backup)

Traffic to the applications are controlled via ACL's (network), Apache (per
vhost) and within the application itself.

Hope this helps,
Wesley

Of Peter Crowther

--
Online Broadband BV, http://www.online.nl, http://www.euronet.nl
Wesley Schwengle, System Administrator, IT Operations (Database/Application Management)