tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Maximilian Stocker <...@talentoyster.com>
Subject RE: Http 500 and %b in access log
Date Wed, 20 Jan 2010 22:52:25 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Mohit Anchlia [mailto:mohitanchlia@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:40 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Http 500 and %b in access log

>I suspect the following as you mentioned. Is there a way I can write
>small application that simulates this behaviour? How do I write in a
>way that content-length goes through but bytes are not sent.

By just opening a Socket and sending HTTP headers. It's not very difficult.

Do you know the clients who are sending you these hanging connections? Either way this is
a client problem, but it could be either bad code, or malicious code. And if you find it's
the latter you should find a another better solution.

You really don't need to waste time by writing a test case or trying to see how long the wait
is or anything else. It's a client error. So go and investigate and fix that.

Also to add that there is only one kind of timeout you can have for a socket in Java and it's
a read timeout. The exception is coming because you aren't getting data from the client in
a reasonable amount of time. Increasing your wait timeout is a major mistake because all it
really does is increase the ease which with someone can DoS you.