tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Clay McCoy <cmc...@acteksoft.com>
Subject Re: Embedded tomcat example
Date Fri, 29 Jan 2010 21:17:49 GMT
Thanks for your response.
So my main application probably keeps going because it is hooked up to a database, JMS broker,
and several other things I guess.
What is the simple and preferred way to keep Tomcat going without adding anything like that.
I would expect it to be very common for someone to simply want to run a servlet in a servlet
container, and it certainly breaks the principle of least surprise that it stops.

On 1/29/10 2:04 PM, "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com> wrote:

> From: Clay McCoy [mailto:cmccoy@acteksoft.com]
> Subject: Embedded tomcat example
>
> There are no errors, why would the embedded Tomcat server just stop?

Most (possibly all) Tomcat threads are daemons, so they terminate automatically when the last
non-daemon thread exits.  If your lead thread that launched Tomcat exits, and there are no
other non-daemon threads running, Tomcat will stop.

 - Chuck