tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Abel MacAdam <abel.maca...@gmail.com>
Subject Allocated memory and VMWare
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2010 09:46:18 GMT
HiHi,

We manage several customers on VMWare systems. Their Tomcat installation is
used by a Content Management System written in Java. I have a question about
what happens with Tomcat when memory it has configured is not available when
necessary.

Our Tomcat installations should use 500 MB (-Xmx516m). But when that memory
is not used, VMWare will take it away, and give it to other VMWares that are
in need of memory. This will not be a problem for a while. But at one moment
Tomcat may wish to use this memory, and VMWare will not be able to supply it
directly. What will happen in that case?

F.W.I.W. We use Debian Linux in our installations. Tomcat gets 500 MB, total
memory is 2GB.

Abel