tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: admin tool, missing Environment Entries
Date Thu, 28 Jan 2010 23:14:47 GMT
> From: che10234 [mailto:chenierc@rogers.com]
> Subject: admin tool, missing Environment Entries
>
> I've migrated a tomcat 5.0 app from one server to another
> (using tomcat 5.5), but on the new server the environment
> entries list is empty.

Why is that a problem?  Filling it in (if it's needed) is one of *your* migration tasks.

> Here is the relevant portion of the server.xml file:

Which is seriously broken.  You can't simply copy items from an old version of Tomcat into
a newer one; you need to read the doc for the target version and implement the required settings.

> <Service name="Applications">

I'm curious; why did you change the Service name from Catalina?  Doing so just makes things
confusing, since you've now got a one-off configuration unlike anyone else's.

>     <Engine defaultHost="myhost" name="ApplicationEngine">

The <Engine> name and the <Service> name should be the same, again to avoid confusion.

>       <Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger"
> prefix="myhost_log." suffix=".txt" timestamp="true"/>

<Logger> elements haven't been supported in years, certainly not in any 5.5.x version.

>       <Context displayName="myhost ROOT Application"
> docBase="/var/apache/tomcat/myhost" path="" debug="9">
>       </Context>

<Context> elements should not be placed in server.xml - that's extremely bad practice.
 Also, it's illegal to have docBase and appBase the same; erratic behavior is guaranteed.
 Your default webapp should be located in [appBase]/ROOT (not [appBase]), and its <Context>
file in [appBase]/ROOT/META-INF/context.xml (all names are case sensitive, regardless of platform).
 The path attribute should never be used, since that's derived from the location of the webapp's
<Context> element, and the docBase attribute must not be used unless the webapp is located
outside of the appBase directory.  Since this particular <Context> doesn't specify anything
of interest, it doesn't need to exist.  And finally, there is no debug attribute for the <Context>
element.

>       <Context docBase="/raidweb/web2/sessions/guid" path="/pdfs">
>       </Context>

The above <Context> should be placed in $TOMCAT_BASE/conf/ApplicationEngine/myhost/pdfs.xml,
not in server.xml, and the path attribute removed.

 - Chuck