tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: tomcat memory usage
Date Wed, 27 Jan 2010 20:10:54 GMT
> From: Steffen Heil [mailto:lists@steffen-heil.de]
> Subject: AW: tomcat memory usage
>
> I am not sure, where the Class objects themselfes reside.

They are in PermGen along with a very few other internally-generated structures.

> Whereever they are, static references are in there.

Actually, there's no requirement that static fields be in the java.lang.Class instance or
even in PermGen, as long as the interpreter, the two JITs, and GC know how to find them.
It would be easy to locate static fields on the C heap, with just a pointer in the native
part of the java.lang.Class instance to the location.  But I believe they actually are in
PermGen, since that makes the card table marking easier when a reference field is updated
via putstatic.

 - Chuck