tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Building a more efficient war file
Date Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:28:39 GMT
> From: Eric Pastoor [mailto:epastoor@vt.edu]
> Subject: Building a more efficient war file
>
> Each deployed webapp contains all the same source code
> copied across each.

Hopefully you don't put source code in the .war files.

> I have been trying to think of a better way to do this.

Why do you think it's a problem?

> I began thinking a better way to do this would be to build a new jar
> file and store it in my tomcat/common/lib

At that point, all of your webapps are tied together, and stopping/starting any one would
effectively require restarting Tomcat.  Maybe that's not a problem for you, but it is for
most sites.

Placing classes in a common location would reduce your PermGen footprint, but little else.

Don't see much advantage to doing this.

 - Chuck