tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: memory leak
Date Thu, 21 Jan 2010 03:02:16 GMT
> From: Ken Bowen [mailto:kbowen@als.com]
> Subject: memory leak
>
> Short version: I have a project which gets some simple info from a db
> via DWR, and outputs it simply on the page.  There is a memory leak on
> the java side.

First off, do you really have a leak?  top is not an appropriate tool for examining Java heap
usage.  JConsole, JVisualVM, and the various GC logging settings will give you real information.

If you really do have a leak, you can use a heap profiler to find out what's consuming the
space and who's allocating it.  Also, jhat can be used with a heap dump to trace objects back
to their roots, so you can see if there perhaps are any object references lying around that
should have been cleared; loggers and pooling mechanisms (as Travis noted) are somewhat infamous
for doing that.

 - Chuck