tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Cross Context Session Creation-
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2010 18:20:25 GMT
> From: Arnab Ghosh [mailto:ghosh@glenwoodsystems.com]
> Subject: Cross Context Session Creation-
>
> Now I want to know while forwarding a request from A to D ,
> whether session will go from A to D or a new session will
> be created under D.

To quote from 7.3 of the servlet spec (which you should read):

"HttpSession objects must be scoped at the application (or servlet context) level.  The underlying
mechanism, such as the cookie used to establish the session, can be the same for different
contexts, but the object referenced, including the attributes in that object, must never be
shared between contexts by the container.

"To illustrate this requirement with an example: if a servlet uses the RequestDispatcher to
call a servlet in another Web application, any sessions created for and visible to the servlet
being called must be different from those visible to the calling servlet."

> Also I want to know how many active session I can create under a web
> application/context in tomcat??

Whatever your heap size allows.

 - Chuck