tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 5.5 root directory
Date Tue, 05 Jan 2010 21:29:03 GMT
> From: File Send [mailto:file.send18@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat 5.5 root directory
>
> Yes, I have default server.xml but I don't see
> $CATALINA_BASE/webapps/ROOT anywhere.

For a default Tomcat installation, CATALINA_BASE == CATALINA_HOME; the only time the two are
different is if you're running multiple Tomcats from a single installation.

> Can you please suggest what specific configuration
> i can set in server.xml.

No changes are needed to server.xml.

> I am putting my page in $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT/ but it does not
> detect it and gives me following error

Exactly what URL are you using?  (In your previous message, you referred to my.jsp.)  Remember
that everything after the host name is case-sensitive, even on Windows.  Also, a badly constructed
.jsp file might give you a 404 error (but usually a 500).

> however, it detects index.jsp which comes with tomact.

The webapps/ROOT/index.jsp file is actually pre-compiled into webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib/catalina-root.jar
(I have no idea why the developers chose to obscure things this way).  Consequently, it is
not using the JSP servlet at runtime.  The JSP servlet is declared in conf/web.xml; if you
have changed or corrupted that file, you may well have caused the problem with your hello.jsp.

 - Chuck