tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Weird JAXP problem at Tomcat startup
Date Mon, 04 Jan 2010 18:38:46 GMT
> From: David Haraburda [mailto:david.haraburda@dairy.com]
> Subject: Weird JAXP problem at Tomcat startup
>
> I turned on JAXP debugging and noticed that when I had the
> problem, JAXP was finding a system property specifying that
> xerces should be used:
>
> INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8580
> JAXP: find factoryId =javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory
> JAXP: found system property,
> value=org.apache.xerces.jaxp.DocumentBuilderFactoryImpl
>
> When Tomcat loads fine, it appears that system property is not
> set and it is (successfully) falling back on the default:
>
> INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8580
> Jan 4, 2010 8:58:29 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
> INFO: Initialization processed in 460 ms
> JAXP: find factoryId =javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory
> JAXP: loaded from fallback value:
> com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl

These are actually two completely separate instances of searching for an XML parser.  The
first comes from javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory, the second from javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory;
each is controlled by a different system property and has a different default.

When I run Tomcat (with multiple webapps), I see several occurrences of the SAX one, followed
by a few for DocumentBuilderFactory.  You need to look at your logs in more detail for all
of the JAXP print lines.

Since the error occurs after the "Starting Coyote" message, it's happening after Tomcat has
finished its serial initialization of webapps, so the cause is most likely a timing issue
with your webapp, setting the global system property which is impacting searches by other
threads for the DocumentBuilderFactory.  You could trap it with a SecurityManager setting
that prevents writing of that system property.

 - Chuck