tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Tangney <>
Subject Re: Different apps clustering on the same Tomcat?
Date Thu, 21 Jan 2010 03:28:03 GMT
On Jan 20, 2010, at 10:57 AM, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

>> From: John Tangney []
>> Subject: RE: Different apps clustering on the same Tomcat?
>> We have two machines, each with a Tomcat, forming a cluster. An app
>> named "gh" runs on each cluster node. We want to add a second app to
>> one of the Tomcats (call it gh2 ? it's just a clone of gh) that
>> synchronizes sessions with gh on all of the nodes.
> Like Chris, I still don't really understand what you're trying to
> achieve.

We use a cluster to do seamless deploys. We use Nginx on the front end
to direct traffic to one or other of the nodes in the cluster. To
deploy, we bring up the new version of the app in a one node, tell
Nginx to send traffic to that node, then bring down the other node.
Because sessions are propagated, users never notice that one node has
been exchanged for another.

We need to add two more nodes that run on Windows (we have platform-
specific code, and Nginx sends windows traffic to one of the windows
nodes based on URL) but we only have one Windows box. We thought that
perhaps we could just run a second instance of the app on the Windows

 From what you said previously, this does not appear to be possible.
So we'll be looking new hardware.

Thanks for all your help!

To unsubscribe, e-mail: