tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Robin Wilson <rwil...@kingsisle.com>
Subject RE: CometProcessor proxied through Apache httpd
Date Wed, 27 Jan 2010 16:53:36 GMT
Where are you putting the ProxyPass (which file, where in the file)?

Also, did you have this in the file somewhere before the ProxyPass:

	LoadModule proxy_ajp_module modules/mod_proxy_ajp.so

AND... In your Apache "modules" directory, is there a 'mod_proxy_ajp.so' file?

Lastly, this is what our connector looks like in the 'server.xml' file for the tomcat instance:

	    <Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3"
               />

So I'm not sure if the 'address' is causing the problem or not.

Keep in mind, 'proxy' (and AJP) don't work the same as HTTP exactly. The rewrites will just
re-point your browser to use the new URL (so rewriting to an 'ajp://' protocol will break
the browser - since it doesn't speak 'ajp' protocol). The proxy actually passes the request
_through_ the Apache HTTP process - to the Tomcat's AJP process - so the browser only talks
'http' to the Apache service, while Apache talks 'ajp' to the Tomcat service. It's the difference
of:

Browser --HTTP request--> Apache
Browser <--HTTP (redirect to Tomcat path)-- Apache
Browser --HTTP request--> Tomcat
Browser <--HTTP response-- Tomcat

vs.

Browser --HTTP request--> Apache --AJP (proxied request)--> Tomcat
Browser <--HTTP response-- Apache <--AJP (proxied response)-- Tomcat

(I'll admit, I could be wrong on this - but that's how I think it works...)

--
Robin D. Wilson
Director of Web Development