tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Patrick Flaherty <pflah...@rampageinc.com>
Subject Re: servlet access to static resources (pictures)
Date Wed, 13 Jan 2010 22:57:26 GMT

On Jan 13, 2010, at 3:54 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Patrick,
>
> Aside from Chuck's comments...
>
> On 1/13/2010 12:01 PM, Patrick Flaherty wrote:
>> Generally speaking, should your docBase point to the location
>> containing
>> your application ?
>>
>> For example
>>
>> Host :  www.myapp.com
>> appBase:  c:\all-my-apps
>>

>> Application:
>> app1
>> Location:  c:\all-my-apps\app1
>
> If your <Host> for www.myapp.com has autoDeploy="true", then
> explicitly
> creating a <Context> with docBase=[appBase]/something is likely to
> create confusion because Tomcat may try to deploy the same webapp
> twice
> on the same path. :(
>
> If autoDeploy="true", then having a webapp in c:\all-my-apps
> \app1.war or
> the directory c:\all-my-apps\app1 means that it will be automatically
> deployed and therefore no <Context> element need appear in conf/
> server.xml.
>
>> Generally speaking would point my docBase to c:\all-my-apps\app1?
>
> Conceptually, yes. In practice, you should try to avoid explicitly
> setting the docBase unless you are using conf-file-based deployment
> using a deployment file in conf/[EngineName]/[HostName]/[AppName].xml.
So Chris,

Based on my setup as described above which is not a war file but a
directory that we
just plunk down into appBase, should I remove the docBase parameter
altogether (is that safe)
or should it be there set as docBase="" (empty) which is what I have
seen in my readings about
<Context>.

One other item in my <Context> is path and it is set to path="" (is
that safe). If this is the only app
for this host should it be set to path="/" (root) ?

Thanks
-P