tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5.5.28 Class loading issue
Date Tue, 26 Jan 2010 15:20:51 GMT
On 26/01/2010 14:25, ssmith wrote:

Spacing improves legibility.

> I have two filters within my web.xml--one uses a sitemesh plugin and the
> other uses a wikiUrlSessionIdFilter plugin---from sitemesh.jar and
> jboss-seam.jar respectively.  If I place the two jars in tomcat/common/lib
> directory and start the server, I get ClassNotFoundExceptions when Tomcat
> tries to create servlets for the filters.

Which are you defining in web.xml Servlet, or Servlet Filter?

> If I move the jars to the
> application's WEB-INF/lib directory, I get ClassCastException when Tomcat
> tries to create servlets for the filters.  And yes this war works just fine
> under Tomcat 5.0.28---where both jars only reside in tomcat/common/lib.

Is the WAR completely unchanged or are you deploying a new version for 5.5?

> I have checked for multiple instances of these jars throughout the
> application and there are none.  The jars do not exist in any other tomcat
> directory.  The jars are not on the CLASSPATH either and from what I
> understand, Tomcat 5.5 does not use the CLASSPATH anymore by default.

Exactly which version of 5.5?

Have you accidentally duplicated servlet-api.jar files?

> have checked that the jars are the latest version--good to use with Tomcat
> 5.5---and they are.  I have double and triple checked that these jars are
> not being indirectly packaged in the war somehow.  I use Eclipse to do a
> basic build of the war---same as I did for Tomcat 5.0---except now I deploy
> to a Tomcat 5.5 server.

Have you checked that the class definitions are correct in the web.xml.
Post the relevant xml sections here.

> So far, I have worked through several issues of migrating from Tomcat 5.0 to
> 5.5 (logging changes, class loading changes, dependent jar changes,
> inconsisent jar issues, jasper jar issues, etc, etc, etc) and I am now
> completely at a loss on this one.  I know it is some sort of class loading
> issue, but I have no idea if I can solve it and how.  I cannot seem to
> figure out what Tomcat wants.

"Jasper jar issues" sounds alarming.

> Tomcat 5.5 acts as if he has to have the jars in the application lib, but is
> confused when it uses those--like it alreay loaded the classes before, from
> somewhere else.  In case it matters---I am starting Tomcat natively on
> Windows using startup.bat
> Anyone got any ideas on this---I could sure use some help?

How have you defined the Host and Context, post the relevant section of
your server.xml.