tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: Securing Tomcat Applications from Reverse Engineering
Date Thu, 21 Jan 2010 23:21:24 GMT
On 21/01/2010 16:24, Leon Rosenberg wrote:

> 5. stop wasting your time and invest it into developing new features
> and actually selling your product. If its worth copying it will be
> copied this way or other. So far no one has managed to protect its
> software against copying, better concentrate on things you really CAN
> achieve.
>
> regards
> Leon

I agree with this statement.  Legal issues aside, you can expend
significant time and effort on protecting your code and a competitor can
just copy the style, workflow and application logic with probably about
as much effort as it would take to decompile the byte code, tidy it up &
get their devs to understand how it works.

In fact, the latter would probably be *more* effort, and you can't use
technical means to defend against the former.

If you're really paranoid about your code, don't let it out of your
control, run your app as a hosted service, (as previously suggested).

As Leon says: focus your efforts on making a truly great product and let
other people worry about keeping up with you.