tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Basic Authentication Failed with multibyte username
Date Thu, 21 Jan 2010 21:44:45 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Nice that someone looked at actual behavior of the browsers.

There is an easy way to find out what really happens.
Gábor,
I presume that you have a workstation set for iso-8859-2 (or whichever
non iso-8859-1 charset is appropriate for Magyar, I forgot), and a
browser set up similarly.
Could you get one of these add-ons like Fiddler2 or LiveHttpHeaders, and
arrange to capture what is sent by the browser in its authorization
header when you enter a user-id/password containing some characters of
the range above \x9F ?
That should be the base64 encoding of whatever the browser is sending.
Then of course you'll have to find a way to show us the base64-encoded
form, and the corresponding non-encoded form of ditto (but I think that
composing and sending your post as UTF-8 should do the trick).

We could probably do much the same with our own charset-challenged
browsers, but we don't have the easiest keyboards for that.

It is my deep suspicion that the browsers will just take the input as
iso-latin-x (whatever the workstation/browser is set for), and
base64-encode it, without bothering to indicate the real charset in any
way.  But we'll see.

Kösönöm szepen, I think it is...