tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Basic Authentication Failed with multibyte username
Date Thu, 21 Jan 2010 11:12:20 GMT
Auth Gábor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've found a potential bug in the Basic Authentication module. I have users
> and some user's username is contains national characters (encoded in UTF-8).
> The HTTP header based authentication is fails when the username or the
> password contains multibyte characters.
>
> The root of the bug is the Base64 decoder, which decodes the Base64 stream to
> char array: converts each byte to individual char, this decode method corrupts
> the multibyte characters...

Hi.
Before declaring that this is a bug, I suggest that you read the other
thread entitled "mod_jk codepage in header values".
The main point is : according to the HTTP RFCs, a HTTP header value is
supposed to contain /only/ US-ASCII characters. Some byte values in
UTF-8 encoding are /not/ valid US-ASCII characters, so strictly speaking
and according to the RFC, HTTP headers which would contain them are invalid.
It's a pain, but it's (probably) not a bug.