tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: Cyclos Webapp Trouble (404)
Date Mon, 18 Jan 2010 12:39:48 GMT

> Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException: Communications link
failure
To me this looks like it's outside of tomcat.  Check that mysql is up,
listening on tcp port 3306 (the standard mysql port) and there aren't
any firewalls causing problems between tomcat and mysql.  If you can on
the Ubuntu box, su to the tomcat user acct and try connecting with mysql
using the client program:  mysql -P 3306 -h [mysql server hostname] -p
-u [username for cyclos].  Replace the [...] in the command with real
data and see what happens.

--David

Rick Bragg wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-01-17 at 21:55 -0600, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>
>>> From: Rick Bragg [mailto:lists@gmnet.net]
>>> Subject: Cyclos Webapp Trouble (404)
>>>
>>> After following these steps, and restarting tomcat6 I get a 404 error,
>>> Also, the database remains empty.
>>>
>> As stated before, using a real Tomcat download from tomcat.apache.org, installing
the most recent GA version of MySQL (5.1.42), and the current cyclos (3.5.5), it all works
fine.  The problem you are now having appears to be due to the use of a security manager;
either turn that off, or update the appropriate properties file to include all the necessary
entries to allow cyclos to work.  I have no idea where Ubuntu places (or even names) the security
properties file, and certainly no idea what needs to be added to make cyclos work with one.

>> Again, I would strongly recommend that you uninstall the Ubuntu 3rd-party version,
and put in a real Tomcat, so we can all be looking at a common setup.

>>  - Chuck
>>

>> THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY MATERIAL
and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received this in error, please
contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from all computers.

> Hi,
>
> Thanks Chuck, One could argue to not use a package manager at all,
> however I would rather use the package manager for this to make things
> easier down the road.  I did manage to get a bit further, and you are
> right about the security manager.
>
> I got rid of the errors in the previous post by setting privileges for
> the classes and libs (see below), but now I'm stuck on mysql
>
> Here is a brief snip from my error log
>
> Jan 18, 2010 2:05:07 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext listenerStart
> SEVERE: Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener
> org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name
'sessionFactory' defined in class path resource [nl/strohalm/cyclos/spring/persistence.xml]:
Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is java.lang.RuntimeException: Error connecting
to database at jdbc:mysql://localhost/cyclos3?useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=utf8