tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: if user's browser doesn't support Cookies, then where to store user's session information?
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:31:06 GMT
On 12/01/2010 09:00, Peter Chen wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> I am using Tomcat 5.5.26 as the Web Server. I know the session
> information is stored in Cookies with the key JSESSIONID.

Only the id is stored in the cookie.

> But some browsers don't support Cookies.
>
> So my question is if user's browser doesn't support Cookies, then where
> to store user's session information?

In the URL.

If you encode every URL on the page then Tomcat will determine whether
there's a cookie and it will rewrite the URL to include the parameter
"jsessionid".

An encoded URL will look like this:

  server.com/path/to/page.jsp;jsessionid=0000000?some=param&goes=here

Some frameworks (e.g. Struts) provide a tag library to do this which can
make your HTML much more readable.  It's not complicated to write your
own though, if you don't want to use a framework.

> And besides session, how to store other user's state information,
> because HTTP protocol is a stateless protocol?

In a database?