tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andy Wang <aw...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: JVM goes away
Date Mon, 11 Jan 2010 22:46:10 GMT
dmesg
check if the linux out of memory kill struck you :)

Andy

On 01/11/2010 04:37 PM, Carl wrote:
> This is a new server, a Dell T110 with a Xeon 3440 processor and 4GB memory.  I have
turned off both the turbo mode and hyperthreading.

> The environment:
>
> 64 bit Slackware Linux
>
> java version "1.6.0_17"
> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.3-b01, mixed mode)
>
> Tomcat: apache-tomcat-6.0.20
>
> JAVA_OPTS="-Xms2400m -Xmx2400m -XX:PermSize=512m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m"
>
> I have watched observed the memory usage and general performance with Java VisualVM and
have seen nothing strange.  GC seems to be performing well and the memory rarely gets anywhere
near the max.

> The server runs well, idling along at 2-5% load, serving jsp's, etc. at a reasonable
speed.  Without warning and with no tracks in any log (Tomcat or system) or to the console,
the JVM will just go away, disappear.  Sometimes, the system will run for a week, sometimes
for only several hours.  Initially, I thought the problem was the turbo or hyperthreading
but, no, the problem persists.

> When the JVM goes away, the memory that it held is still being held (as seen from top)
but it is nowhere near the machine physical memory.

> The application has been running on an older server (Dell 600SC, 32 bit Slackware, 2GB
memory) for several years and, while the application will throw exceptions now and then, it
never crashed the JVM.  This leads me to believe the problem has something to do with the
64 bit JVM but, with errors, I can't be certain and don't know what I can do about it except