tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: When running under high load (via load generating tools), Tomcat 6.0.20 stops expiring sessions until the load subsides; causing thrashing on Garbage Collection
Date Sat, 09 Jan 2010 16:43:34 GMT
On 09/01/2010 15:50, Robin Wilson wrote:
> Well, we encounter this problem in our production environment every so often. If we run
at sustained load for 2 hours we hit the wall in production. Keep in mind, our production
environment has 4 clustered servers, so it takes about 1/4 the amount of load per server to
encounter the problem.

Fair enough - if the load test is just a quick way of reproducing the
problem then it doesn't really matter if it is artificial.

> That being said, I think you are correct, we are creating sessions faster than they can
be destroyed.

> Is there a way to setup the context so that it doesn't automatically create a session?
(Keep in mind, we aren't using JSP, we are using Tapestry - and I am not sure how to use Tapestry
without a session.)

Unfortunately, that will be under the control of the web application -
or in this case Tapestry. The Tapestry users list is probably you best
source of info on this.

You can configure JSPs not to create sessions by default in web.xml but
I'm not sure how much - if at all - that would help you.

Mark