tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ken Bowen <kbo...@als.com>
Subject jsessionid on EXACTLY the 2nd request?
Date Mon, 04 Jan 2010 20:52:37 GMT
I'm seeing what I think is odd behavior regarding jsessionid's.
[My setup(s): Tomcat 6.0.20 on a MacBook Pro using Java 1.6.0_17,
  Tomcat 6.0.18 on CentOS 5 using Java 1.6.0_12 ]
I'm seeing the same behavior on both systems, and the same
behavior happens with Safari and FF.  Both browsers have cookies
turned on.

I have cookies="true" in context.xml in the app's META_INF.

The Behavior:
I Clear Recent History in FF, which includes clearing cookies,
and request http://myapp.com/     I connect and the address bar shows:

	http://myapp.com/

Moreover, a JESSIONID cookie shows in FF's list of cookies.

I make a request for another page in the app and the address bar shows:

         http://myapp.com/anotherPage;jsessionid=9612C2CAA30DE590AA7A5FDB046DA4F9

And after that, no more jsessionid's are added no matter where in
the app I go, or how many requests I make.

My understanding was that Tomcat could be expected to add a jsessionid
to a
request it was returning on the FIRST request, but if the browser had
cookies on,
then AFTER the first request there would be no more jsessionid's.

Getting the jsessionid added on exactly the 2nd request confuses me.

Has anyone here run into something like this, or is my understanding
of what
Tomcat is supposed to do erroneous?

{Separately, I'm having a problem with a Tuckey outbound filter to
strip jsessionid's,
but that's a problem for the Tuckey list.}

Thanks in advance,
Ken