tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Abel MacAdam <abel.maca...@gmail.com>
Subject Allocated memory and VMWare
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2010 08:57:54 GMT

Hi,

We manage several customers on VMWare systems. Their Tomcat installation is
used by a Content Management System written in Java. I have a question about
what happens with Tomcat when memory it has configured is not available when
necessary.

Our Tomcat installations should use 500 MB (-Xmx516m). But when that memory
is not used, VMWare will take it away, and give it to other VMWares that are
in need of memory. This will not be a problem for a while. But at one moment
Tomcat may wish to use this memory, and VMWare will not be able to supply it
directly. What will happen in that case?

Abel