tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bytecode <bytec...@me.com>
Subject RE: How to map username.domain.com to www.domain.com/username
Date Mon, 25 Jan 2010 20:50:39 GMT
Hi,

>Assuming you have DNS set up properly, use this:

I have not done DNS tweaking before. How should I setup the DNS? Do I have to set the value
of host name for the A record to "*"?

>http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/virtual-hosting-howto.html

Looks like this is not a dynamic approach. I have to specify each subdomain in the server.xml
but in my app
I need a way to automatically map www.domain.com/newusername to newusername.domain.com. Or
have I missed something?

>Alternatively, use a filter to rewrite the request URLs to the internal format:
>http://tuckey.org/urlrewrite/

How can I setup this filter to listen for all the *.domain.com requests? Also I don't want
the user to be redirected to www.domain.com/username but
just like blogspot or wordpress I want him to be able to access his homepage at username.domain.com
instead.

Thanks in advance,