tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rick Bragg <li...@gmnet.net>
Subject RE: Cyclos Webapp Trouble (404)
Date Mon, 18 Jan 2010 07:21:27 GMT
On Sun, 2010-01-17 at 21:55 -0600, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
> > From: Rick Bragg [mailto:lists@gmnet.net]
> > Subject: Cyclos Webapp Trouble (404)
> >
> > After following these steps, and restarting tomcat6 I get a 404 error,
> > Also, the database remains empty.
>
> As stated before, using a real Tomcat download from tomcat.apache.org, installing the
most recent GA version of MySQL (5.1.42), and the current cyclos (3.5.5), it all works fine.
 The problem you are now having appears to be due to the use of a security manager; either
turn that off, or update the appropriate properties file to include all the necessary entries
to allow cyclos to work.  I have no idea where Ubuntu places (or even names) the security
properties file, and certainly no idea what needs to be added to make cyclos work with one.

> Again, I would strongly recommend that you uninstall the Ubuntu 3rd-party version, and
put in a real Tomcat, so we can all be looking at a common setup.

>  - Chuck

Hi,

Thanks Chuck, One could argue to not use a package manager at all,
however I would rather use the package manager for this to make things
easier down the road.  I did manage to get a bit further, and you are
right about the security manager.

I got rid of the errors in the previous post by setting privileges for
the classes and libs (see below), but now I'm stuck on mysql

Here is a brief snip from my error log

Jan 18, 2010 2:05:07 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext listenerStart
SEVERE: Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener
org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'sessionFactory'
defined in class path resource [nl/strohalm/cyclos/spring/persistence.xml]: Invocation of
init method failed; nested exception is java.lang.RuntimeException: Error connecting to database
at jdbc:mysql://localhost/cyclos3?useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=utf8
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Error connecting to database at jdbc:mysql://localhost/cyclos3?useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=utf8
	at nl.strohalm.cyclos.setup.DataBaseConfiguration.validateConnection(DataBaseConfiguration.java:342)
	at nl.strohalm.cyclos.setup.DataBaseConfiguration.run(DataBaseConfiguration.java:107)
Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure

I have the following policies in:
vi /etc/tomcat6/policy.d/50local.policy

// The permissions granted to the context WEB-INF/classes and lib directories
 grant codeBase "file:${catalina.base}/webapps/cyclos/WEB-INF/classes/-" {
  permission java.security.AllPermission;
 };
 grant codeBase "file:${catalina.base}/webapps/cyclos/WEB-INF/lib/-" {
  permission java.security.AllPermission;
 };

// The permission granted to your JDBC driver
 grant codeBase "jar:file:${catalina.base}/webapps/cyclos/WEB-INF/lib/mysql-connector-java-5.1.7-bin.jar!/-"
{
      permission java.net.SocketPermission "localhost:3306", "connect";
 };

I think maybe my JDBC permissions are not quite right, or there is something with the driver,
but I'm not sure...

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks again!
Rick