tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Carl" <>
Subject Re: Slackware 64
Date Sat, 30 Jan 2010 15:43:31 GMT

Thanks for the reply.

I was attempting to see if anyone had problems with 64 bit Java and 64 bit
Slackware like I have been having and figured out a work around.

I agree the settings are heavily dependent on the application.

We have plenty of memory.

It was suggested on a Java list that I add 'System.addShutdownHook(Thread)'
to see if I can distinguish between exit() and halt() or some form of JVM
abort.  I should get to that later today but am looking for all the
ammunition I can get to beat this problem.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Caldarale, Charles R" <>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <>
Sent: Saturday, January 30, 2010 10:19 AM
Subject: RE: Slackware 64

> From: Carl []
> Subject: Slackware 64
> Has anyone successfully used Tomcat with Slackware 64 and Sun's 64 bit
> Java?  If so, what were your Java options, particularly the ones
> relating to GC?

Appropriate heap sizing, choice of GC algorithm, and other GC-related
parameters are almost entirely dependent on the characteristics of *your*
webapps and processing requirements; unless someone has an identical set of
webapps and identical load patterns, anyone else's settings are irrelevant.

You will need to insure that the total active process space (of which the
Java heap is only a part) does not exceed the available RAM on the system,
or you'll get into page thrashing pretty quickly.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: