tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: New to Tomcat -- SSL
Date Sat, 12 Dec 2009 18:40:12 GMT
> From: Adria Stembridge [mailto:adrya.stembridge@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: New to Tomcat -- SSL
>
> I compiled jsvc per tomcat 5.5 documentation.
>
> [Linux] service tomcat5 stop
> [Linux] ./bin/jsvc -Djava.endorsed.dirs=./common/endorsed -cp
> ./bin/bootstrap.jar -outfile ./logs/catalina.out -errfile
> ./logs/catalina.err org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap

Looks like you didn't start jsvc under the root userid.  Also note this from the instructions:

"jsvc has other useful parameters, such as -user which causes it to switch to another user
after the daemon initialization is complete. This allows, for example, running Tomcat as a
non privileged user while still being able to use privileged ports."

 - Chuck