tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Config Question
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2009 14:42:41 GMT
> From: steflik [mailto:steflik@binghamton.edu]
> Subject: Tomcat Config Question
>
> I have created a context for each student in the server.xml file

Don't do that - very strongly discouraged to have any webapp-specific information in server.xml.
 The <Context> elements should be in conf/Catalina/[host]/[appName].xml, since you likely
don't want them in each webapp's META-INF/context.xml file.

> but if a student modifies the web.xml file in their application
> I have to restart the sever before it takes effect.

The global conf/context.xml file should have a <WatchedResource> element for WEB-INF/web.xml;
Tomcat should automatically restart the webapp unless you've removed that or disabled deployOnStartup
in the <Host> element.

 - Chuck