tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat, out of memory and hot reployment
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2009 14:22:35 GMT
> From: Malcolm Warren [mailto:malcolm@villeinitalia.com]
> Subject: Tomcat, out of memory and hot reployment
>
> If I turn off hot redeployment and use the Tomcat manager to redeploy
> applications, does that solve the problem?

No, that is a hot redeployment.

> I would assume that it does not, but any information from the experts
> would be very welcome.

Fix your webapp (or libraries that it uses) so that it doesn't hang onto references to objects
that it doesn't need.  (Logging packages are infamous for causing this problem.)  Make sure
that any ThreadLocal usage is cleaned up at the end of *each* request.  Watch out for anything
in a shared library that keeps persistent references to webapp objects.

Use a profiler to find out where the unwanted references to superseded objects come from.

 - Chuck