tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: mod_jk socket_timeout setting
Date Thu, 03 Dec 2009 17:57:11 GMT
> From: dan lahey [mailto:dlahey317@gmail.com]
> Subject: mod_jk socket_timeout setting
>
> I used wireshark and it looked like the actual body response had to
> come back within that certain time.
>
> My co-worker says though that the socket_timeout directive is only for
> the tcp handshake.

Unlikely, since that's pretty much invisible to user code.

> Can someone please verify what that directive does?

I can't really answer that, but I can quote previous responses from Rainer:

"Don't use socket_timeout.  Use version 1.2.28 and socket_connect_timeout."

http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=125897176719328&w=2

More information:

http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=125675257720614&w=2

And more detail:

"socket_timeout is a difficult beast and I generally do not recommend using it. mod_jk uses
it in some special situations in order to be able to abort waiting for data. It is not directly
'how long a socket will be kept open'. How long a socket is kept open depends on how the socket
gets used.

"Usually you can get away pretty good using CPing and ping_timeout, socket_connect_timeout,
eventually reply_timeout with max_reply_timeouts."

http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=125663788907668&w=2

 - Chuck