tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Markus Schönhaber <>
Subject Re: TomCat multiple ssl support
Date Tue, 29 Dec 2009 14:58:43 GMT
29.12.2009 15:28, Mark Thomas:

> However, there is a spec for this: RFC 4366, SNI (Server Name
> Indication). It should be implementable for at least the APR/native
> connector. Not sure of the extent, if any, of support in the browsers.

If a recent article in the German c't magazine is right (an I remember
it correctly) browser support for SNI is better than I thought it was.
According to this article, most modern browsers already support SNI -
the major exception being IE on Windows XP. As I understand it, IE uses
the OS'es cryptographic libs and those of XP don't support SNI.
BTW: SNI support was added to Apache httpd with version 2.2.12.

Nevertheless, as long as IE on XP still has a significant market share,
I think the *general* usefulness of SNI for public websites is still
somewhat limited.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message