tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bruce <br...@centerstage.com>
Subject Re: Every couple hours, Tomcat stops
Date Sat, 19 Dec 2009 20:39:58 GMT
Juha Laiho wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>> I have an installation where Tomcat stops every couple hours.
>>
>>    * Tomcat 6.0.18
>>    * Windows XP pro - 2.3GHz, 2G memory
>>    * The application is in a .war file.
>>    * This app reads and writes to a MySQL database on the same machine.
>>
>> What happens is that the application will run for about 3 hours or
>> so. Suddenly, it stops responding.
>
> A thread dump of the hung Tomcat might well bring more light to the
> situation. To me at least this sounds like a thread starvation issue
> (for some reason, the request processing threads are not recycled to
> serve future requests). The thread dump might well bring insight as to
> what the reason might be.
>
> One reason for the starvation might be some deadlock situation across
> separate threads accessing the database.
>
> Other things to check are the memory and CPU usage of the hung Tomcat
> process - they might also provide some more clues.

While it was down I checked both mysqld-nt and tomcat6 processes and
they are both running (11,076k & 92,996k respectively).  Both have
priorities set to normal.

I will do a re-install of Tomcat before I get involved with a thread
dump. My reason is that the other sites do not have a problem and this
problem may be a simple case of corrupted files.

Bruce