tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Limit user sessions in tomcat
Date Tue, 15 Dec 2009 17:01:09 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Chetan Chheda [mailto:chetan_chheda@yahoo.com]
>> Subject: Limit user sessions in tomcat
>>
>> Is there a way through configuation of tomcat and mod_jk to control
>> the number of concurrent transactions/sessions a user can maintain?
>
> Don't know about what you might be able to configure in httpd, but in Tomcat this is
frequently done with a filter in conjunction with an HttpSessionListener to insure a user
session is being used by an excessive number of concurrent requests.  This keeps the throttling
independent of the logic in the webapp.

There exist a couple of add-on filter modules at the Apache level to
handle that kind of thing.  It might be better to do it at the earliest
possible level, before you even hit mod_jk or Tomcat.

On another level, I don't quite understand yet how this squares with the
fact that most browsers will not establish more than 2 connections with
the same webserver at the same time.  It seems a bit difficult to
imagine that one single user can "crash" a Tomcat just by repeatedly
hitting the same link.
Maybe the OP should just find that user and tell him to stop doing that.