tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Trying to access a directory outside docBase... is it possible ?
Date Tue, 15 Dec 2009 15:39:30 GMT
Ingo Gambin wrote:

> my directory structure looks as follows
>
> /opt/document-repository  <- mounted nfs-disk of an archiving system
>
> /opt/Tomcat/webapps/myApp.war <- my project deployment file
>
> my webapp for now is just a bunch of servlets which, using
> java.io.File..., have no trouble to read the archiving systems directory
> structure listing to list all available archived pdf-files. With
> servlets and some CSS I managed to build a little directory tree in the
> browser output and linked the pdf-files to get opened (via adobe reader
> plugin) in an iframe
>
> this basically works if the pdf-files I want to open are located in the
> deployment directory.
>
> but what I want to do is to access the pdf-files of the archiving disk.
> it seems tho while the servlet java code {java.io...} CAN, tomcat CANNOT
> access the pdf-files, which are stored there. And my projects deployment
> directory and the archiving systems mount have to be separated, so I can
> not mount the nfs into the deployment directory nor can I put my
> application around the nfs-mount-directory

But maybe you could just create a link, inside your deployment
directory, to the mount ?

/opt/Tomcat/webapps/myApp/docs --> /opt/document-repository

You would have to make sure that the user-id under which Tomcat runs has
read access to that directory and to the documents in it.

Otherwise, can you be more precise when you say that "tomcat CANNOT
access the files" ? what URL is the client using, and what exactly happens ?