tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: Context Chicken & Egg Problem
Date Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:58:47 GMT

On 12/11/2009 3:39 PM, David Fisher wrote:
>> Finally, you might consider using a ServletContextListener instead of a
>> Servlet, as this is the recommended practice for context setup. You can
>> still provide a servlet to report on the status of the load if you'd
>> like.
> Thanks for the tip, I'll add it to our internal JIRA for additional
> re-factoring as we re-architect to go to Tomcat 6 from Tomcat 5.5.

FWIW, we recently moved from 5.5 to 5.0 in our development environment
and it couldn't have gone more smoothly: we duplicated our <Connector>
configuration from 5.5 in our 6.0 conf/server.xml file and kept right on
going: no other changes were necessary. 5.5->6.0 plus a 1.5->1.6 JVM
upgrade has yielded noticeable performance improvements (though not
demonstrated empirically, it just "feels" faster).

> Current architecture is to share a jar in shared/lib between the main
> webapps, an admin webapps and a localhost only management webapps. This
> was originally in Tomcat 3. New architecture will separate each, drop
> the management webapps and we'll control contexts via multicasting, jmx,
> and/or servlets.

Any reason to share the JAR instead of weploying it several times?
Memory and disk space are pretty cheap.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -