tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: deployed same TOMCAT 6.0.20 on Windows / Linux
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2009 14:20:35 GMT
Karthik Nanjangude wrote:

>>> Also, both Windows 2000 and Java 1.5 are in the "no longer supported"
>
> Off the topic - Does this mean Every Hardware /S/w for 6 months needs replacement

Not really off the topic, if you are talking about comparisons and
benchmarks.
http://java.sun.com/products/archive/eol.policy.html
This is a fast-moving technical area.
After 6 months, no. After 5+ years, probably yes.

I have heard that in terms of computers, it was like with dogs. If you
want to compare this with a human timespan, you should multiply by 7.
So your Java is 35 years old, in internet-years terms.
Your Windows OS is even older.
Your Linux kernel, from the number, dates from about 2005, so it is 20
internet years old.

One of your systems seems to be 64-bit, the other seems to be 32-bit.

My point was : if you are trying to measure things for comparative
performance, and you want people here to help you figure out possible
differences, you should not pick machines and OS's which not many people
are using anymore.  That strongly reduces the number of people /able/ to
help you.

You still did not tell us what you are measuring, or how you are
measuring it.  And you did not tell us your definition of "slow" (or
"slower").  Like, is one system processing 100 similar transactions per
second, and the other one only 98 ?

And you obviously did not read the link I referred you to.
The main point is : people here /donate/ their time to answer questions.
  The least you can do is to make your questions attractive and answerable.