tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat performance benchmark
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2009 16:22:48 GMT
Peter Crowther wrote:
> 2009/12/7 Neil Aggarwal <neil@jammconsulting.com>
>
>> Here is one that is somewhat dated:
>> http://www.webperformanceinc.com/library/reports/ServletReport/
>>
>> Good grief, that's not so much "dated" as "coming back from beyond the
> grave"!  It's two major versions and a lot of performance optimisations out
> of date for Tomcat, and I assume about the same for the other containers
> benchmarked.
>
> Benchmarking current performance based on that report is rather like
> assuming the current Formula 1 motor racing teams are showing similar
> relative performance to their placing in the 1970s.

On the other hand, it would be really interesting to compare the
performance of a set of webservers 5 years ago, with the current ones,
if the comparison is in terms of real-world application requests served.
Granted, servers have become faster, memory and disk have become
cheaper, bandwidth has increased, code may have been somewhat improved
in the meantime.  But on the other hand applications have also gotten
bloated in the meantime, so I am not quite sure that there would be that
much difference in the end.