tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Scott Dudley <sc...@telesoft.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5 vs 6 Context useNaming Behavior
Date Fri, 04 Dec 2009 16:06:46 GMT

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Scott Dudley [mailto:scott@telesoft.com]
>> Subject: Tomcat 5 vs 6 Context useNaming Behavior
>>
>> We have a legacy application that's been running on the 5.5.X versions
>> for several years.
>>

> Under what JVM?  And platform?

I've tested under both Windows (2000) and a couple of current Linux
variants both running a current 1.6 VM - same behavior.  5.5.X works,
6.X doesn't.

>> The application instantiates the context, creates and binds
>> it's own JDBC pool, etc. with no relevant edits to any of
>> Tomcat's configuration files.
>>

> What does it do with exceptions during the context instantiation?

They're thrown and reported - er go the exception excerpt included in my
post.

>> In 6.0.20, no matter the setting (true/false), we get
>> the same Exception as when useNaming is set to true in 5.5.X:
>>

> What JVM for 6.0.20?

As mentioned earlier, current 1.6 release.

>> Is there a known/related useNaming bug or have I missed some new
>> configuration nugget?
>>

> Can't say.  Can you post your server.xml and relevant <Context> element?

http://sdudley.com/files/server.xml
http://sdudley.com/files/accountaccess-dev.xml

You'll see we use a custom ClassLoader, FileDirContext, and
LifecycleListener but like XML JNDI configuration, don't want to make
them part of this conversation as they're not relevant.

I'm simply trying to find out why useNaming works in 5.5.X and not 6 and
hoped someone was already aware of the answer.  In the meantime, I'm
already looking through the source and doing some testing on my own.

Thanks.