tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Debugging tomcat<->apache(mod_jk) bridge
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2009 22:13:45 GMT
groupalias v wrote:
> running and it picks up the webapps in /srv/tomcat6/webapps/
> and the URL www.example.com:8080/test/index.jsp works fine.  I tried
> with the mod_jk.c and jk_module with the same result.

> about the SetHandler construct.  Is there documentation somewhere I
> can read?

Look at the bottom of this page.
http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/reference/apache.html

(Off-topic note : this page seems quite hard to find, starting from the
top documentation page for Tomcat 6.0 at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/index.html
Is this a mistake or intentional ?)

> The issue about security is something I am concerned too and thought
> its too error prone.
>
> What is the workers.tomcat_home directive in workers.properties used for?

Chris answered that. Remove it.  There are a couple more like that, if
you copied an older workers.properties into a newer Tomcat config.

> If the communication is over the 8009 port why does apache care about
> one of tomcat's directories?

I will be a bit more nuanced (and considerably longer) than Chris here.

The Connector port has nothing to do with it.
Basically, Apache does not know anything about Tomcat at all, ever.
The only thing Apache knows, is that for each request URL, there is a
"response generator" (also called a handler).

Apache itself normally generates a response using its own default
handler.  That handler resolves the URL location, generally, to a file
on disk, and returns the content of that file as the response to the
request. (I am simplifying a bit, but it is the general idea).

Except, if something in the configuration tells it that for some
specific URL, there is another handler to use for generating the response.
JkMount is such a configuration directive.
It tells Apache that for some URLs, it should use another response
generator called mod_jk.
(The same is achieved by the "SetHandler jakarta-servlet" directive.)

So for such URLs, Apache does not generate the response itself, but
passes the request to mod_jk, and expects mod_jk to produce the
response. When the response comes from mod_jk, Apache merely copies it
back to the browser.
Apache has no idea that mod_jk, to produce the response, is using one or
more Tomcats in the background.  Apache also does not know that mod_jk
communicates with Tomcat via port 8009 (or any other port).
If instead of talking to a Tomcat via port 8009, mod_jk was talking to
you by telephone, and you were writing the response, Apache would not
see the difference.

But what Apache knows about, is any filesystem location you tell it to
look into, to find files to return as response for some URLs.
By using the directive
Alias /test/ /srv/tomcat6/webapps/A
you are telling Apache "hey, if the request URL is /test/abc.html, then
go look for a file /srv/tomcat6/webapps/A/abc.html".
Apache has no idea that this directory is also part of the "Tomcat
space", and it could not care less.  If it looks there, and finds a file
"abc.html", it will just copy its content to the browser, without ever
asking mod_jk or Tomcat anything.  In other words, it completely ignores
mod_jk and Tomcat, and serves the file directly from the filesystem.

That is why this Alias is dangerous.
That is also why it is extremely dangerous to do as quite a few people
seem to do, to set the Apache DocumentRoot to the "webapps" directory of
Tomcat, thinking "hey, I'll serve the static content directly with
Apache". (That may be an appropriate thing to do sometimes, but not in
this way).

According to Chris, the later JkMount's in your config will take
precedence over that Alias, and thus "override" (or "cancel") it.  But
it is not quite clear yet that they always do, and there is no
documentation that I know of, that confirms this.
Let me give you a partial counter-example :

If you had
Alias /test/ /srv/tomcat6/webapps/A

and then you also had
JkMount /test/*.jsp A

then indeed, for any request URL starting with "/test/" and ending in
".jsp", the JkMount would take precedence over the Alias, and that
request will be served by mod_jk (and thus really by Tomcat).
But for a request URL like "/test/secret-data.conf" the above JkMount
would not take precedence over the Alias, and Apache would serve that
file directly from disk.